Saturday, February 23, 2013

Raw Film


Inexperienced mix link (<---CLICK)


Today Hassan and I met up to work on our genius project. However in order to track ourselves over the course of the project, we decided to first take a video of our skills, or lack thereof to see where we needed improvement. It turns out that we need improvement everywhere! As you can see, Hassan and I lacked the knowledge of how to transition properly, use effects, scratch, and use the volume to our advantage. At times we were behind on cut transitions, and overall the mix seemed very forced and unnatural. Although Hassan and I were pretty much awful at mixing, as you can see from our hand throwing, and leg movement, we were having a great time.

Being that this was the first time I have DJed, I decided to forget about the fact that I was messing up, but to just enjoy it. As DJ Iceman once said, "The bottom line from all of this is, I don't care if it's Digital, I don't care if it's Vinyl...Our goal as DJs is to rock a _____ crowd. Period!" Taking this advice to heart, I believe that if the DJ isn't having fun, then neither is the crowd. I have been to parties where the DJ simply sits there and doesn't engage with the crowd, and those parties are usually the ones that nobody has fun at. When Hassan and I were DJing we were having a blast. There was nobody else we were playing for, but it didn't matter, as we were jumping around, and just having a great time. This just shows that both of us have such a love for music, and a passion for it that will hopefully fuel this project and allow us to improve from this mix. At the end of the day, although I may have done a terrible job DJing, it was my first time, and that simply means that there is a lot of room for improvement. 

Also if you were wondering what songs we used in this mix here they are!

1. Shot Yourself in the Foot Again By Skream
2. Kraken By Skepp x Hawk x Waino
3. Mercy By Kanye West (RL Grime Remix)
4. I Can't Stop By Flux Pavilion 
5. Up (Earthquake) By DJ Fresh and Diplo
6. Lobster Beat By JWLO
7. Pursuit of Happiness By Kid Cudi (Steve Aoki Remix)
8. Slip By Baauer
9. First Aid Kit By Winter is All Over You (Baauer Remix)

Once again for the best effect turn up the speakers and enjoy!



4 comments:

  1. DJ Yush, I’m glad you’re having fun with investigating DJing. The quote you found is true; it’s all about the crowd. Something you might want to research is the difference in BPMs throughout different subgenres of house. For example, progressive has a BPM in the range of 125-132 while moombahton has a BPM around 110. It is great to have knowledge of the different genres.
    Also, what software are you using? I have tried Virtual Dj, Serato Intro, Itch, and the Traktor series. I have found Traktor to be my favorite. What’s yours?
    (As you can see) I dabble in the DJ arts and have found some helpful tips that may come in handy while mixing.
    1. When mixing and transitioning always have the song coming in on a loop, and try not to have it longer than 16 bars. You do not want the track to play too long and end up going back too far when the loop hits. This will make for an awkward transition.
    2. Always make sure the BPMs are the same and the beats are matched. Most software allows for this to happen with the click of the sync button.
    3. If you can, set up the headphones so you can hear the prepping deck. It really makes a difference when trying to pull a mix together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick, thanks for the great feedback. At the moment I am trying to understand BPM, and how exactly it works. As of now I understand how to sync music together by hitting the "sync" button on the decks, but I don't really understand BPM from a science stand point. Therefore, I am gonna look at some articles and try to figure it out. BPM is really crucial to DJing so I think that should be my first topic to tackle. Currently, I am using Virtual DJ and personally I really like it. To address your 3rd point, I have my headphones synced with the prepping deck, but I didn't really understand what to do as the video was my first time actually DJing. Thanks again for the input!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DJ Yush, I think your project is great, and it really shows how passionate you are. I think the quote is very true, and can be applied to various aspects of life besides DJ-ing. I really like the route your blog is taking and I wish you good luck on your endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DJ YUSH. I'm really glad and exciting to see you exploring DJing. I feel like it's something that fits your personality very well, and it's evident that you're really into all of the music that you play. I can certainly see the purpose in your inexperienced video, but I love how despite even your own acknowledgement that there's room for improvement, you're still having a ton of fun from the very beginning. I can't help but agree the philosophy that you take away from the quote from DJ Iceman - it's very true. Success begins with your own passion and enjoyment, and only then can you give that to others. Your intrinsic motivation to improve at DJing is really apparent here. Really looking forward to this TED Talk - I know that whatever you guys intend to prepare (as it still seems variable at this point), it'll be awesome!

    ReplyDelete