Thursday, March 28, 2013

Remixing

Sooooo it's spring break! Which for this project means a lot of time that I can spend DJing with Hassan as we have a lot more free time. When I say more free time I mean the later we can stay up video-chatting on Google+. Without any school to worry about the next morning Hassan and I have been video-chatting until 1 or 2 AM almost everyday this break to work on DJing. Now the question is how productive are 2 teenage boys at 2 AM? Well, if I'm being honest, not really, however when we do focus for 20 minute bursts we really get a lot done. On the first night we hit our eureka moment when we finally understood how to use cue points to our advantage. Instead of simply using cue points as a quick way to move through songs, we decided to use them to remix a song. By simply fooling around with the tempo, pitch and cue points we ended up with a really 'sick' way to remix the song, Ball So Hard by Hucci.

After about an hour of, "EWWWWWWW, THAT'S SO SICK," we finally came up with a finished product, recorded it, and now the remix is in my I-Tunes library as "Ball So Hard Remix By DJ Yush & DJ M!nor. Simply writing our names down as the artists to a remix made me so proud us as we finally were able to understand DJing so much so that we could create a remix.

Being that it is spring break, there have been parties where Hassan and my friend Jacob have been hired to DJ. Since I am considered their "DJ in training" I tag along, and have actually seen a lot of action on the turntables lately. On Saturday, Hassan and I were given the opportunity to DJ together as Jacob wanted to take a break, and we actually kept the party going. It felt really good to actually DJ at a party as Hassan and I were in really good rhythm together. Being able to finally display my skills at a party was gratifying as all my hard-work seemed to pay off. The crowd was into it, and it was really just a lot of fun to share my talent with a bunch of people I usually wouldn't talk to. Afterwards, a lot of the kids came up to us and gave us compliments for a job well done, and then we even got hired for another gig this Friday. This party should be really good for Hassan and I to practice our DJing once more, and learn how to understand/pump up a crowd. I have researched about how to understand a crowd and it is really and artform. There are so many different factors that go into it, but the main thing is to be flexible. According to a source from howtofastdj.com, it is imperative to pay attention to everything the crowd says, and does. Using the information the crowd gives you through speech, body language, and requests is essential to understanding a crowd properly. According to the site, a DJ knows when a crowd is into the music when:

*People bopping their heads or tapping their feet to the music.
*Dancers swaying in chairs or next to tables.*Crowds of girls slowly making their way to the dance floor.*People getting closer to the designated dance floor.

These are essentially signs saying that you are doing a good job. On Friday, I can hopefully recognize and listen to the crowds wants and needs to get these results. 

Here is a picture from last Saturday:

Also be ready for possibly a live remix to Ball So Hard by HUCCI during our TED Talk! It would help to listen to this song prior to see the difference between the mix and remix so please listen to the song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUu0KIvTe44





1 comment:

  1. Aayush, I think that you project is awesome, and you seem to be extremely passionate about it! Also it's great that you are able to tag along and DJ the parties because firsthand experience with something is always the most effective way at learning. Looking forward to your TED talk and hopefully you continue to DJ in the future!

    ReplyDelete