Saturday, March 2, 2013

Today Hassan and I FINALLY met up after I was simply craving to DJ. We started out by watching several tutorials about how to scratch, and then we came up with this...

LINK TO SCRATCHING VIDEO (<--- CLICK)



My overall impression of our scratching is that we kinda over-scratch. Instead of dropping in the occasional scratch we just kinda did it all the time. Less is more when it comes to scratching so I think we definitely need to dial it back. Other than that I think we understood the basics of the scratching, and produced a somewhat decent product. As with everything in DJing, you have to practice. So I think with a little bit of practice, we can say that we understand scratching.

Hassan and I also talked today about the fact that our original idea of a 1-2 minute mix didn't really make sense as it wasn't going to show how we actually progressed. Since all the music we were playing was already remixed by another DJ, all we were really doing was transitioning from one song to another. So instead of simply making a 1-2 minute mix, Hassan and I have decided that for our TED talk we are going to talk about an aspect of DJing and then show it rather than having a big mix where our techniques wouldn't really be highlighted.

Overall, it was a really fun day as Dj Minor and I were going HAM on the turntables and were scratching up a storm(maybe too much scratching). While one of us was scratching the other would start free-styling, obviously Minor Problem killed it while I was kinda just saying whatever came to mind. I think at some point I rhymed lemon with hemming... I guess I wasn't cut out to be a rapper.

Anyways, here is the name of the song we mixed too!

Changes by Stewrat
http://stewrat.bandcamp.com/track/changes-2


2 comments:

  1. Aayush, I love this project. I think it is really cool that you are doing something that you love and enjoy doing. I think that it is even cooler that you are learning a new tool to help you become the ultimate dj. I listened to you do some mixing in class and it is clearly evident that you are improving. To master djing is really difficult and I think you are on the right track. I can't wait to hear you dj in the future and even at some parties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I loved the effort to scratch. I find it hard for me to scratch because I always feel like I'm interrupting the song. When I listened to the video it sounded like you were adding to it, so great job. I think when you say less is more when scratching it all has to do with when you scratch. When you let the hook play through that was pretty good. Sounded awesome great job.

    ReplyDelete